We all get down sometimes.
Most recently, the hubs and I moved to a new home, 3 days after he came back into town after being gone for 2 week, while still rehabbing the old house to get it ready for tenants. The stress of so much work, so little sleep, and trying to balance it all was definitely taking a toll on our marriage.
In fact, towards the end of the whole project, I told my mother-in-law that when it was over she was going to need to watch Jessica for an evening while we went on a date – because at that moment, the hubs and I hated each other.
It’s kind of embarrassing to admit, but it’s true.
We were just tired, broke, and stressed.
Honestly, it’s perfectly normal to feel that way when going through a busy season of life like we were, so I definitely don’t feel bad about it. But in hindsight, I wished that I would have done something to make the hubs feel better for those couple of months. Something that didn’t cost money, take much time, or stress me out more.
Something free to brighten his or her day.
They say a little thought can go a long way, and in this situation, I really think it could have helped.
So whether you’re in a busy (read: horrible) season of life, you’ve been struggling for a while, or just want to do something out of the blue – but have nothing to spend, I created this list of really cool, free things you can do for your spouse to brighten their day.
- Clear The Clutter From The Bedroom
- Take the kids outside and let him or her have a nap for a couple of hours
- Tuck a love note in his lunch box
- Text him how glad you are to have married him
- Do a chore he would normally do
- Give him “me” time – or a “me” weekend
- Bring lunch at work
- Coffee in bed
- Wine in bed
- Plan a surprise picnic
- Make him a card
- Write him an encouraging email
- Dinner + dishes
- Give a sincere compliment (or 10!)
- Let him/her sleep in one morning
- Call and wish him a good day
- Watch their favorite show/game together
- Empty the dishwasher
- Clean the bathroom
- Put the kids to bed early
- Give him/her a massage without being asked
- Give them a hug
- Drop him/her off at work
- Leave an encouraging sticky note in their car
- Ask if there is anything you can do for him today
- Thank him for his support
- Make breakfast
- Take it a step further with breakfast in bed
- Get the kids ready for school/church/daycare in the morning
- Make his lunch for work
We all struggle, we all get down sometimes, and often these seasons of life are beyond our control.
But how we respond to those tough times? That’s on us.
These simple things don’t have the power the completely turn the hard stuff around, but they can take a bad mood and and make it better. You’ll still struggle, but with a brighter outlook those same struggles will seem infinitely easier.
Best of all? They’re free!
Give some of these a try today, or download the PDF to have handy and use any time!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosures for more information.
SO many good ideas for encouraging our significant other! Thanks for posting this!
These are great suggestions. One thing I do is to make sure to add in quality time with my fiance each day. It’s a simple gesture, but it goes a long way.
Alix @Special Learning House says
This is a very sweet list! I love writing my husband little notes and leaving them in different spots. Great ideas! Thanks! :)