Obesity is an epidemic in this country, but with so many free ways to exercise, I struggle with why! After having a baby I am starting to understand why it can be so difficult, but when I exercise, I feel so much better, am more productive, and am much happier!
However, I do not have the money to spend on a gym membership, fitness classes, or a bunch of special workout gear, so I have compiled a list of great FREE online workouts:
1. Lionsgate BeFit Channel: This channel contains workouts from Lionsgate’s large collection of workout DVDs. There are workouts from favorite trainers such as Jillian Michaels, Jane Fonda, and Denise Austin as well as content created specifically for the YouTube Channel. The site offers programs such as 30 and 90-day programs, and tailored programs such as 30-day Butt Lift and 6-day Six Pack Abs. There is even a BeFit Go series designed specifically for smaller mobile screen.
2. Fitness Blender: This site provides a personal training atmosphere, for FREE! Husband and Wife team of Daniel and Kelli Seagers have made more than 300 workout videos that range from 5 to 90 minutes and cover beginner to advanced fitness levels. Videos cover spot training or whole body workouts and feature different equipment or equipment free videos.
3. Spark People: Spark People offers more than 70 workout videos from personal trainers as well as instructional videos and cooking health meals. This site is well-suited for the beginner exerciser.
4. Jessica Smith TV: This wonderful channel is best suited for at-home exercisers with limited space on their hands. Jessica is a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor who works out from her home using minimal equipment and space. Over 150 full length videos are available on her website, and each features a fitness-class style workout with one-on-one coaching.
5. BodyRock: This site, while having beginner workouts available, is more tailored to intermediate and advanced exercisers. Instructors lead tabata-style workouts, many times in 30-day challenge style. Videos are fairly short in length, but each is designed to give the user an excellent workout in a short amount of time.
6. Pop Sugar Fitness: With workouts ranging from 10 to 40 minutes, there is something for everyone here. Workouts spot target or work your whole body. They even have plans you can follow on a treadmill or elliptical!
7. Do Yoga With Me.com: Once again, workouts ranging from 10 to more than 60 minutes and aimed at every fitness level. Includes all styles of yoga in a searchable format. They even have Pilates, too!
8. Jenny Ford Fitness: A great resource for step aerobic workout videos. This one made Shape’s top 10 free places workout online list!
9. Real Hollywood Trainer: This site posts a new cardio workout every Monday, and the site has a variety of classes on it, so there is sure to be something you are interested in!
10. Warrior X Fit: This one is interesting – combines martial arts and strength training for a 20 minute cardio workout. No special equipment is required, but you do have to join the site. However, membership is free!
This is just the tip of the iceberg. A quick visit to YouTube will reveal videos by your favorite trainer – usually for free! And don’t discredit the great outdoors: hiking, biking, walking, and running are all great – FREE – ways to exercise too!